Cambodia is one of Southeast Asia's most popular destinations bordered by Vietnam to the east, Laos to the north and Thailand to the northwest. Cambodia is a most famous for its ancient temple of Angkor but there are many other sights for volunteers to explore.
Top 5 reasons to visit and volunteer in Cambodia
- Angkor Wat - take a tour around the incredible Kingdom of Angkor which reigned between 9th and 14th centuries, learn about the inspiring culture and heritage. See first hand the intricate detail to each of these wonderful temples, each part of the largest Hindu temple complex in the world.
- Fantastic food - try out some of the best Cambodian cuisine; Amok, Lak Lak and noddles are always easy to find and surprisingly, French baguettes or nom pang are also common, a remnant of the French colonial presence in Cambodia. Take a stroll through the local markets and enjoy the vibrant colours of the fruit and veg stalls!
- Wildlife - take a trip to the Kratié Province along the Mekong River which is home to the endangered Irrawaddy dolphins. Soak up the local wildlife and relax watching the sun set over the river.
- Siem Reap - known as the gateway to the famous Angkor Wat, Siem Reap is worth a visit in its own right. A small town full of colonial charm but more recently the tourist hub with restaurants a plenty. A great place to learn yoga, get your shopping done and explore the old market whilst meeting like minded travellers.
- Phnom Penh - the capital of Cambodia. Eat at one of the delightful restaurants on the river front, take a tuk-tuk to explore the city, the King's Palace, stroll through the parks and shops around town. Explore Cambodia's turbulent history with visits to S-21 Prison and the Killing Fields, a harsh reminder of how far the nation has progressed from the dark days of the Khmer Rouge.
- Help the centre to care for over 150 rescued bears
- Work with endangered species including Malaysian sun bears and Asiatic black bears
- Provide enrichment to these amazing animals within a larger wildlife centre
- Explore Cambodia's breath-taking scenery and visit Angkor Wat in your free time
- Use your imagination and create fun games and activities with the children
- Live in a rural Cambodian town with breath taking scenery and mysterious temples
- Work in the orphanage and community projects such as rural village schools
Orphanage Community Farming
- Contribute to the development of a sustainable farming project
- Live on site at an orphanage and support their ongoing aims
- Experience life in a rural Cambodian village, off the beaten track
- Live and work at a HIV Community Centre supporting HIV+ children and their families
- Arrange arts and crafts activities and teach English at a local state-run orphanage
- Enjoy the beautiful and lively town of Kampot